Bureau of Standards Jamaica
The Bureau of Standards Jamaica (BSJ) celebrates 50 Years of existence on Monday, 15 July 2019. It has been a half-century of growth, international and regional recognition, pioneering work and unbridled success. Although the organization has come a long way, it is important we acknowledge its very humble beginnings.
How did it all start?
What is now the Bureau of Standards Jamaica (BSJ) was established on 15 July 1969 as the ‘Bureau of Standards’ when the 1968 Standards Act was brought into force with the appointment of a 13-member Standards Council. According to this Act, the organization’s role is to ‘promote and encourage the maintenance of standardization in relation to commodities, processes and practices’.
In addition to the Standards Act, the Bureau was given responsibility for the Processed Food Act 1959. Under this Act the Bureau had and still maintains the authority to appoint inspectors and analysts to inspect, analyze and certify prescribed foods. The Bureau also assumed responsibility for the Standards Division of the then Ministry of Trade and Industry. This division was housed at 5 Rekadom Avenue, pending the completion of the new headquarters on Winchester Road. The administrative arm was temporarily housed at 6 Surbiton Road.
One-year later, the three-storey headquarters of the BSJ at 6 Winchester Road was officially opened on 15 July 1970 by Rt. Hon. Hugh Shearer. The organization was the brainchild of Hon Robert Lightbourne, the then Minister of Trade and Industry. The Bureau was organized into four departments: Administration, Food, Chemical and Raw Materials and had a staff complement of forty-one persons.
Celebrate with us for the next 12 months as we look to commemorate 50 Years of dedication to you!