Reporting to the Team Leader, Microbiology Department, the incumbent will be required to perform a wide range of microbiological analyses on edible and inedible samples submitted to the laboratory in accordance with relevant/established/applicable testing methods while simultaneously meeting quality assurance standards. Additionally, the incumbent will be required to contribute to the writing of standards and auditing activities.
- Conduct microbiological analysis on food and non-food samples submitted to the Laboratory.
- Conduct research to source test methods, using laboratory manuals, the internet or through networking with laboratories both locally and internationally.
- Prepare test reports and dispatch to customers
- Update and manage laboratory files both manually and electronically
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a Laboratory Quality System
- Participate in local and international inter-comparisons.
- Manage stocks and purchase inventory supplies
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required:
- Working knowledge of scientific research techniques
- Working knowledge of laboratory management systems e.g. ISO/IEC 17025
- Sound knowledge of microbial and chemical analyses, methodologies and techniques
- Sound knowledge of Entomology
- Good team player
- Adaptable and eager to learn
- Good customer service attitude
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
Minimum Qualification and Experience:
- B.Sc in Biological Sciences, Microbiology, Biotechnology or related discipline
- Two (2) years experience in an Analytical Laboratory similar to that of the Bureau
- Experience in relation to aseptic techniques and microbiology or chemical laboratory safety
- Competent in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Access)
Applications must be submitted no later than 02 May 2018 at 4:00 p.m. by email to:
Director, Human Resource Management & Development
Bureau of Standards Jamaica
6 Winchester Road
Please note that while we appreciate all applications, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted